Thursday, October 18, 2012

Wishing For Someday Soon by Tiffany King

Do you ever read a book and it completely takes you back to a moment in your life?  Maybe the circumstances are not the same, or perhaps they are, or perhaps it's the actions of people, good or bad, that totally transports you back to a moment that forever changed your life.  Deep right?  Well that is because this book is deep!  Wishing for Someday Soon by Tiffany King is an emotionally charged story that tackles the reality of life for hundreds of thousands of kids across the world.  Really millions of them; who are struggling with poverty and abuse at the hands of adults who don't have the right to be called parents.  Yet, if I scared you with the deep subject matter let me say that this book is so sweet and has its light moments too.  Don't be scared of the emotional wave coming your way!

So I won a Tiffany King book from Supa Gurl Heather herself several weeks ago and when I couldn't decide what to pick she suggested this one.  I didn't even read the synopsis just opened it up and found myself drawn to the beautiful story of Katelyn and Kevin whom after multiple (for reals multiple) moves throughout the years find themselves in Four Corners, Montana with their 'mother' Lucinda and Jim the "step-dork".  Katelyn, now a pro at being the new kid, starts school at the very different public school in town determined to just get by as she's always done knowing that in a few months time she will be on the road again once Lucinda gets bored with small town living, or the freebies run out.  However, Katelyn did not plan on Max.  She did not plan on the dimpled hottie to show her attention, or the students she meets to be so friendly or the school to care so much about her and Kevin.  And her life begins to change; except if doesn't really. 

My idea of Max

Should she allow herself to hope that her Someday Soon is here now or is this just another sad stop in her sad life?  You MUST read this book to find out!  

Back to my flashback moment...I do not pretend that my moment is anything like Katelyn's but this book brought me to a memory from my high school years where someone was there for me like Max tries to be for Katelyn and the song "I'll Stand By You" by The Pretenders popped into my head.  It is a perfect theme for Max and Katelyn and was a theme for me once upon a time too.  It's one of my all time favorites and here are just a few of the lyrics to explain why...

Oh, why you look so sad?
Tears are in your eyes
Come on and come to me now
Don't be ashamed to cry
Let me see you through
'cause I've seen the dark side too
When the night falls on you
You don't know what to do
Nothing you confess
Could make me love you less

I'll stand by you
I'll stand by you
Won't let nobody hurt you
I'll stand by you

To this day I shed a tear every time I hear this song.  This story brought these moments back up to my mind and my heart and for that I totally declare this a FABULOUS five feather read!  Thank you Tiffany and Heather for sharing this story with me, I truly loved it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...